Monday, January 8, 2018

The Way We Homschool

     We are staring back to school for the second semester of the year on Monday January 8, 2018.  Let me start off by saying we really don't do school all day.  This is because the kids work at their own pace and many times are done with school by lunch time.  This is one advantage to homeschooling, the kids get done with school and are then able to take time at explore things they are interested in.  But that is for another blog, this one is about how we homeschool.




We typically start school at 9 am.  The kids are allowed to study each subject in the order they wish.  My two high schoolers are 100% on their own.  They are allowed to ask me for help if needed, but we use switched on schoolhouse for high school.  This is a computer based program and I love it because it does most of my grading for me.  My seventh grader is mostly on his own, he still needs help with English when it comes to writing papers.  We usually talk about what he is reading in science and history.  My 4th grader I still teacher her all her subjects, of course.  After their school work is done the kids get one hour for playing a computer game or video game.  I give them this time right after they are done so they can unwind some.  Then we try and do one hour of free reading time or they can also read and journal from the Bible.  They do a quiet time every morning, but sometimes they like to read more or reread what they read in the morning.  Most afternoons are spent doing chores and the kids playing board games, Legos, or doing something of interest to them.  Many afternoons are spent with the kids outside playing. 



     My kids love field trip days.  Okay, so what kids don't like field trip days?  Were we live is a great place to homeschool if you are looking for field trips.  We have history museums, art museums, a great zoo, a lot of historical landmarks,  and so much more.  We are the home of the collage world series, and even though that is not officially during school time.  It is still a fun field trip.  
      I main thing that we love about homeschooling is the fact that we get to homeschool the way we want too.  Our homeschool does not have to look like anyone else. Truth be told it should not, we are not all the same, every families' need are different. 


Until Next Time,
Pitters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of Creative Culture

      So Kezi and I had a little girls time earlier this month.  We tried out a DIY Art Studio in Downtown Omaha.  We loved all of the DIY p...