Thursday, December 14, 2017

Homemade Kolaches

     I am about 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Bohemian, and 1/8 Czechoslovakian for a long time I have wanted to learn how to make Kolaches.  Although I have learned the sweet variation of this pastry I have yet to make a savory one.  So I searched today for a recipe for a savory variation.  I found one that I am making for dinner tonight.  With the size army, I mean family I have to feed I am doubling this recipe.  Many of the recipes I found used store bought dough.  I am not saying that is wrong, but I want authentic kolaches.  I finally found one and so far I am happy with how the dough is turning out.  I am right now waiting until the dough doubles in size.


Recipe for the Kolache Dough

Ingredients:
1 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk (105 to 115 degrees F)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
6 Tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
about 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

   1. In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup milk.
   2. In a large bowl combine the yeast mixture, with the remaining milk that has been warmed, butter, eggs, sugar, salt, and 1 1/2 cups flour.
   3. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make a workable dough.
   4. In a mixer with a dough hook, kneed dough until smooth and springy, about 5 minutes.
   5. Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat.
   6. Cover with a kitchen towel or loosely with plastic wrap.  Let dough rise for 2 to 3 hours or until the dough doubles in size, in a warm, draft free area.
   7. Punch down the dough, kneed briefly, cover, and let rise in a warm, draft free place until nearly doubled in size, about 1 1/4 hours
   8.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Punch down the dough knead briefly, divide in half, form balls and let stand for 10 min.
   9. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/2in thick.  Cut into 2 1/2 in rounds. Reroll and cut out the scraps.
  10. Put in a tablespoon or 2 into in middle of the round.  fold the side around the filling and place seem side down.  Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper , about one inch apart.  Cover with a towel or plastic wrap loosely and let rise for about an hour.
  11. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 12 minuets or until golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Review of Creative Culture

      So Kezi and I had a little girls time earlier this month.  We tried out a DIY Art Studio in Downtown Omaha.  We loved all of the DIY p...